Alterations and Development
There were four more owners of Pylewell in nearly a hundred years before William Ingham Whitaker acquired the estate in 1879, immediately making significant alterations to the house and adding a new drive and lodge. He died in 1893 and was succeeded by his son, also William Ingham Whitaker.
Following William's marriage in 1903, the pleasure grounds were developed with Asian and Australasian plant collections, a new lily pond, and bridges brought back from his travels to Japan. A collection of rhododendrons was gradually established on the banks of the lake between 1912 and the early 1920s, at which time the entire gardens had reached their most elaborate stage.
William Ingham Whitaker III inherited Pylewell in 1936 and following wartime use of the house and parkland, the early 20th century east and west wings were demolished in 1951.
In 1988, Lord Teynham, William Ingham Whitaker III’s nephew, inherited Pylewell and the Estate. Today many of the Roper-Curzon family live on the Pylewell estate and are delighted to welcome you to Pylewell for your wedding or event.
During the Second World War, the estate was requisitioned for military use.
Pre-war, Pylewell Park housed over 40 servants.
During the First World War, the top floor of Pylewell Park was transformed into a hospital for officers on the frontline, many of which had suffered through gas attacks. There is a plaque in the hallway to commemorate this.
Two parts of the house were knocked down, including the vast Ballroom that once hosted many fabulous parties and dances. Our wedding pavilion sits where the great Ballroom once would have been.
Pylewell Park has seen Italian Prisoners of War walk through the entrance.
Channel 4’s adaption of ‘The Scandalous Lady Worsley’ was a true story that took place at Pylewell Park. It ultimately led to the first legal precedent in favour of women.
Many keen sailors have embarked on yacht races and regattas at Pylewell’s private beach. Joseph Weld, who acquired Pylewell in 1801, was one of the founders of the Royal Yacht Squadron in Cowes. This famous yacht ‘Alarm’ competed in the race that led to the naming of the America’s Cup.